Do you have what it takes to be an Entrepreneur?

Wednesday, 20th of June 2018

The traditional ambitions of Sri Lankan students were simple. Students with dreams of being doctors, lawyers, engineers and teachers filled the classroom. However, with time this has changed. Being an entrepreneur or ‘businessman’, is now an ambition that many children talk about. However, this is an ambition that is realistic to those with purpose and determination. It is not for the faint of heart.

Changes in market needs and trends Dr. Alan Robertson Dean of Studies NCHS, says that the needs of the market are daily changing. “Interpersonal and communication skills, enthusiasm, commitment and attitude, analytical and problem solving skills as well as theoretical knowledge, especially in the latest trends are the characteristics that are now imperative.” It is therefore necessary to compile your ‘toolkit’ filled with the characteristics and tools that you need to succeed. Knowing what is necessary is the beginning. Gathering the resources needed is the foundation. Building on the foundation is the path to success in your journey as an entrepreneur.

90% Of Startups Fail: What is the secret that the other 10% know?

However, what deters many enthusiastic beginners in the lack of knowledge. The lack of knowledge is one of the main paths to downfall. According to Forbes, 90% of new startups fail. As budding entrepreneurs we need to identify and learn as to how and why the remaining 10% succeeded.

Watch, Listen and Learn

“Watch, listen, and learn. You can’t know it all yourself. Anyone who thinks they do is destined for mediocrity” said Donald Trump, President of the United States and chairman of The Trump Organization, the Trump Plaza Associates, LLC. As children, we are constantly told not to touch fire. We are told that fire is hot. Yet, most of us at some point have wanted to verify if this is the truth – we have burned ourselves in the pursuit of verification. As an entrepreneur, the safest pathway is to learn the tools of the trade through observation. Other entrepreneurs experience is the knowledge that we need to succeed. However, the knowledge we gather should not be limited to the local context.

International exposure and experience are imperative in the learning process. “By completing an Australian degree you have the opportunity to work in a wide range of countries and in many occupations. These include accounting, finance, marketing, business law, management, human resource management, business consultancy, public relations and administration as well as teaching and training” Dr. Robertson said while talking about the importance of gaining an international education. This would after all provide the foundation that you need to be amongst the 10% that succeed.

Start your International Education from the comfort of your own home

Swinburne University of Technology, Australia has exclusively partnered with the Nawaloka College of Higher Studies (NCHS) to provide students a guaranteed pathway to prestigious Swinburne degrees. Thus, a flexible, time and cost effective study option is now available locally. Furthermore, students will have access to numerous degrees in the stream of Business at Swinburne, Australia and Malaysia. However, through NCHS, the student’s options have broadened.

They are now a part of a global network. “Students who join NCHS will directly enroll and be recognized as students of California State University Monterey Bay, California State University San Marcos, California State University Bakersfield and California State University Humboldt or the University of Swinburne. They are given the option of choosing to do a degree of their choice on completion of the 2 years at NCHS” said Dr. Alan Robertson.

To find out more on how you can be a part of the prestigious Swinburne or Cal State degree pathways at NCHS, call 0777 899 998/ 011 5 899 998 or email [email protected]

Latest Courses

Lyceum Nugegoda made history as the first-ever school to host the Vesak Devotional Singing programme...